Monday, October 15, 2007

I have returned!

Howdy people I do still exist. Its been a while but I thought i'd give you an update from The Pathology Room. I have started 3rd year/4th year/1st year clinics (its all the same). Its shit scary and so stressful. I'm on my surgery placement in a largeish hospital, my consultant is a general surgeon with a speciality in colo-rectal, so I see lots of bums! :) Untill now the worst part for me was taking blood from patients who ask "you've done this lots of times havn't you?"........sure.........(gulp). But we also have to follow our consultant, go to theatre (colons again) present and examine, and of course fit a load of lectures in as well. But today i'm on critical care week (which actually is only 2 days). This meant I learn how to canulate people today, a bit fiddly and complicated but ok, so we go down to A+E to look for some real (as apposed to fake) victims patients to cannulate. Then this guy comes in having arrested just outside and pretty much kicks the bucket right there. It was terrible, we stood in the cubicle feeling like a plop, everyone was (obviously) ignoring us, the doctors were saying things like "we'll give some adrenaline but he won't survive" and the relatives were right outside panicking. No nurses wanted to talk to the relative so one of us had to sit with her. Sitting in lectures and even disection just doesnt prepare you for watching someone's life fade away. I definately don't know if i'm cut out for A+E. But then we saw a guy who had (I think) sinus tachycardia, his heart rate was 155 ish and they gave him Atropine which stoped the heart and started it again and the tachycardia was much reduced, heart rate after was 105 ish. Tomorrow i'm in ITU and suturing, hopefully a better day than today. oh and I also got my SSC its in Pathological Sciences: Pathology in Practice (no suprises there!).