Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Marathon

Well prepared to be wowed (or not) by my tales of the happenings at this years LM. First the basics; the LINKS station I was assigned to was at the 24th mile mark, so by the time they reached us the runners were looking pretty rough. It was also the wettest day in the history of the world. Us girlies wear this kinda hat, and I had to empty the brim constantly cos of the drips. Lovely Paul, myself and two girls from essex were in our foot patrol and it was brill fun.

OK although I was being profesional at all times I did meet some celebs. Highlights were: Gordon Ramsey-I helpfully yelled 'keep going', Stephen Redgrave-He was walking and so didn't deserve cheering, All the elite runners-too quick to shout at, Rebbecca Loo's-who I gave some vaseline to, which she smeared under her arm-pits (now there IS a claim to fame).

Now before I go on I must explain, running is sooo not glamourours and 'certain things rub' Vaseline is smeared on armpits, legs, nipples, and yes even in that area! Things were going great, you stand with a rubber glove on and a big gluey clump of vaseline on the end, the runners then grab a bit and smear accordingly. Then a man stopped and asked for some, I helpfully heald the tub out but he then said "can you apply it", so I had to......IN BETWEEN HIS LEGS-ewww. Although I have to say he had v big thigh muscles.

Ahh the next part of our job was to help those in need......of a leg massage. Basically they got cramp in their legs and it was our job to apply baby oil and rub their legs rigoursly to loosen the muscles. Not a bad job...most of the legs were lovely.

Policemen.....what can I say, they are just so much nicer to you when you are in uniform. They treat you like one of them. I even got a tea.

The last point was vomit. I saved vomiting Robin batman just kept running! After sitting mrs Robin down and giving her a bit of water she got right up and chased after batman...another person hapiliy treated.

It was an 11 hour duty and I was soooooooooooo tired, but I treated loads and got some cool freebies.

HIGNFY tomorrow...........YAY