Sunday, November 13, 2005

They shall not grow old


Today I went to the Remembrance Sunday service at the cenotaph, It is an amazing service to go to, you have to turn up at least 1 hour before it starts (that means leaving the house at 8:30), you end up squashed next to some really nice people (like the little old lady who let me see) and some proper wankers (like the posh men behind who didnt see why people from other countries should take part). OK so you are now squashed in place, hopefully you can just about see the road, but then half the army (I got the ones on horses with the metal helmets!) stand infront of you! I mean staring at 40 soldiers backsides may be fun for the first 1/2 and hour but after that it just gets annoying. As there are so many people, be resigned to the fact that you will not be able to leave until at least 12:30, thats 3 hours stood still (kinda like an outside KCC concert). Well the service is excellent, it starts with some cannons going off in time with Big Ben, then we have 2 minutes silence (I was watching the veterans and it is just so moving watching them attempting to hold back tears, I can't even imagine what they are thinking) then we do some hyms and prayers and stuff, and then it comes to the main bit, the Queen and Co all lay their wreaths (the Queen has a HUGE one kinda like "don't mess with me") then everyone else does one (Tony and other politicians, then important people, then army people). then comes the march. Thats my fave bit and its so interesting, people clap through the ENTIRE procession, I mean it goes on for like 25-30 minutes, my hands were red raw after, but they so deserve it. The dumbass people in the audience only clap for the ones everyone knows about (the guerkas, paratroopers, chelsea pensioners and the ones with pom-poms on their hats). I had to clap louder when St John came past (got to show appreciation). Whew thats the key place to slip out, which I managed to do. I then walked back home, via Trafalgar Square, and Sainsburys. I will then talk you through the photographs I managed to get from today.




This was the view I got (I know its just fab!)

Just as the cannon sounded to mark the start of the two minutes the sun came out and lit up the cenotaph, it was so pretty.

Lots of marching, feeling very patriotic now!

Loaads of Londons famous flying rats in Trafalgar Square, and below that, walking down the main road with the traffic lights still changing....very odd feeling.

Ok well the picture with the arrow on is very exciting, you will have to take my word for it, mainly because my camera is crap (I want my new phone dad!) but that person at the window IS Prince William and may I just say he looked very nice in his suit. He came out on the balcony but I missed it.
Very confusing building, named simply 'Canada', does not look country shaped and strangly has loads of flags on, none of which are canadian. One of Londons many mysteries.



Ahh Admiral Lord Nelson we salute you!

This is the amazing new memorial to the Women of World War II, the true invention of girl power?

Haha, I saw this poor guy on the way home, he was actually turning blue. I got him a coffee (arn't I nice), but I serioulsy doubt that he was 'lovin it'.