Monday, October 23, 2006

Oh im all befuddled!

OK as most (if not all) people were aware that I did seem to be veering towards a Pathology based career.

Well that was untill I saw HEMS taking off from the roof of The London. All the leaves fell off the trees and pretty much everyone couldn't help themselves and have a glance skwards. I shamelessly oogled untill the Helicopter had gone (while managing to walk at the same time-how did I miss all the trees and bus stops?).

But see my thought then was sod pathology, surgery, GP-dome etc... I wanna do St John-ness AND get paid for it!

Then today I had THE BEST lab sesh in the world. I met Andy???? ooo im rubbish with names. Anyways he's a cardiopathologist and he showed me two hearts one from a 12 year old boy and one from a 14 year old boy. Don't get all depressed these were the ones taken out of the patients and replaced by a transplanted heart!

You know I never really thought much about the defective heart and where it went to after transplant, but it gets handed to a department who remove the valves to be used on other patents (soo clever) then the remaining heart gets given to the Cardiopathologist to have a look at.

Patient 1 had cardiomyopathy, although he was 12 his heart was adult sized with a thickening of the left and right ventricles. Twas v smelly but to be honest I though it looked normal. Then the Doc was like "hmmm very abnormal here, here and here" I was nodding while thinking I really don't have a clue :-) but its all great experience.

Patient 2 had been through the mill a bit. He had at least 2 ops trying to sort his lil (actually flipping huge) ticker out. He also had a pacing wire in so the poor guy had been through it. His heart had a congential defect (at birth) but wasnt sure what it was because the surgeons had whipped all the important stuff out of there.

He was a cool guy and he had a little (bigish) mutter about the surgeons: "they always put the specimines in tiny pots with not enough formalin, whenever I try and get one out it's like giving birth!"

Then I planned tomorrow with sue. We are doing immunohistochemistry, and I did some H&E slides for her.

See this confuses me because from today I could see myself settling for a life doing research, its easy, not to physically strenous and we get to drink lots of tea and make sarky comments about dumb people in the news.

OK off to think about my future while playing sonic the hedgehog! (don't ever say that I'm not mature).