Sunday, September 03, 2006

Blood Donation

Well today I had a lovely breakfast of spinach and orange juice!! That was it, all I had. I shall explain why, in two ticks, but for those of a medical inclination (and those who read the title) it should be pretty obvious.

I and the mother will be Blood donating in Buxton on Tue of Wed next week (can't remeber days anymore). See I have already donated all of my organs so I though the next bit was a bit of the old bone marrow and blood.I think i'm on the bone marrow register, cos I signed something in the drunken stupor that was freshers month a year or two back. So that leaves Blood!!

Well I have this fear.....OK it aint of needles and it aint of blood. So whats the problem with the blood giving then? Well I have (like many other people I suspect) a complete and utter phobia of PAIN!! I can't stand the stuff.

It donesnt help that my last experience in giving blood could only be describled as horrific! I shall explain:

I was going to Chapel surgery to get some routine tests done for my Uni course (HIV and Hepititis B immunity) so I sit down and wait for professional doctor type to come sort me! Now guess who turn up......the bloody district nurse! I love nurses (in a healthy way tho, not is some sort of perverted way!) but this particular one I knew quite well. Its one of the probs with living in a teeny tiny place.

So nurse attaches the tornique and a nice juicy vein pops up. Then she sticks in the needle...which wasnt that bad and puts on the vacume pot (im sure they have a proper name) and the sucking of the blood begins, except it doesnt. It comes out in spurts....I'm panicking by then thinking she has a artery (brachial) but she thinks that the needle is in the wrong place, which it was cos it was half in the vein half out. So what does she decide is the course of action....SHE FLIPPIN WIGGLES THE NEEDLE IN MY ARM!!

Now I'm not sure how to convey the total and absoulte pain at this point! Anyway the pot is about half full by now which she seems to think is enough. The she acts supprised when I feel a bit ill, and then to top of the worse blood test ever, she sits me in the incorrect first aid position for feeling faint!! I mean come on! Also it didnt help that through the whole blood taking my mother was sat next to me going "ooo theres a bit more" and "its spurting quite well now"! grr!

(woo tests came back negative...cept for the immuntiy one which was positive YAY!)

But despite this I feel I should give blood, here are my reasons:
  • I will soon be sticking needles in people and so should experience it for myself! Its like having a virgin who's a sex therapist.....they really can't be expert if they havn't the experience!
  • I wanna know my blood type...If im AB Ive been adopted (which could have happened) and I want to fill that section in on the front of my organiser!
  • I recon its a good way to face my fear!
  • There are free buiscuits
  • I want the pin badge when you donate 50 pints (just 49 more to go)
  • I want to look hard!!

Oh incidentaly the point of the breakfast was to increase my iron levels, vitamin C helps aid the absorbtion of iron which is particuarly necessary in women!! Farha told me that, it was one of the few questions I got right in First year!!

Remeber only 1 out of every 100 people who can donate blood actually do! So if I can do it then you can!!